You are here:


Where do I start?

If you're ready to go back to school, but not sure exactly where to start, check out our New Student Booklet.  It walks you through the process of applying for benefits, applying to the U and the steps to take afterwards. 

May I receive Tuition Assistance and the GI bill at the same time?

Yes. TA will cover tuition cost and the GI bill will cover the cost of books, etc.

However, there are conflicts with Chapter 33. If you are receiving Ch. 33 benefits, the cost of tuition will be deducted from your GI bill if you are receiving tuition assistance.  For tips and guidance on maximizing your VA education benefits, set up an appointment with Alan Heal

Does GI Bill cover the cost of taking the GRE, etc?

You may be eligible for reimbursement.  The VA will cover the cost of some test, but not the fees associated with the testing process.  Visit the VA website for more information. 

The following tests are approved for reimbursement:

  • SAT (Scholastic Assessment Test)
  • LSAT (Law School Admission Test)
  • GRE (Graduate Record Exam)
  • GMAT (Graduate Management Admission Test)
  • AP (Advanced Placement Exam)
  • CLEP (College-Level Examination Program)
  • ACT (American College Testing Program)
  • DAT (Dental Admissions Test)
  • MAT (Miller Analogies Test)
  • MCAT (Medical College Admissions Test)
  • OAT (Optometry Admissions Testing)
  • PCAT (Pharmacy College Admissions Test)
  • TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language)
  • DSST (DANTES Subject Standardized Tests)
  • ECE (Excelsior College Examinations)

PLA (Prior Learning Assessment) testing through

What if I'm deployed?

For students who are called without prior notice to active military duty, the U offers the following options or any combination thereof:

•  At the discretion of the instructor, students may make arrangements to receive an incomplete (I) grade for one or more class(es). Refer to the Student Handbook for a complete description of the Incomplete Grading Policy.
• Students may make arrangements, when appropriate, with an instructor to complete the course work for a grade prior to a departure for active duty.
• Students may request a total or partial withdrawal.
• Students may request to delete one or more class(es).

As always, you'll need to complete the proper paperwork.  See our deployment checklist to get started.  If you have any questions, please let our office know. 

How do I initiate a Purple Heart waiver?

Residents of the State of Utah who received the Purple Heart for combat wounds can receive a waiver to their under graduate and graduate tuition.  To initiate the Purple Heart Tuition Waiver, bring Financial Aid your DD 214 showing the award and a letter from the Veteran requesting the waiver.  For questions pertaining to this process contact Amber Cook (, the Financial Aid Scholarships Counselor.

Purple Heart Fee Exemption:

Effective 4/30/07, a recipient of a Purple Heart is exempt from paying the following motor vehicle license and registration fees: automobile driver education fee; motor vehicle registration fee; license plate issuance fees; uninsured motorist identification fee; and local option transportation corridor preservation fee.  The only fee due is property tax or age-based fee.

 Is there a military discount for prep test courses?

Yes. There is a 20% discount for prep courses taught at the University of Utah. Veterans must prove military status with the Veterans Support Center.

POC is Debbie Erickson at Continuing Education -, 801-581-6446

How do I show proof of immunization or MMRB?

Complete proof of immuinzation form (PDF)

Visit immunization requirements on the Student Health Center website for more information.

What is the best way to contact the VA?

Submit a question online.  It's much better than calling the 1-800 number and being on hold. 

Does the University of Utah have a Student Veterans Organization?

Yes. The University of Utah has a Student Veterans of America chapter on campus, Student Veterans of Utah. Follow them on facebook:

Facebook Logo for Student Veterans of Utah

Do I qualify for in-state tuition as a Veteran?

A Veteran and his or her family are eligible for in-state tuition if they meet the following requirements:

  • Be honorably discharged from the Armed Forces.  (DD 214)
  • Provide a written and signed declaration relinquishing residency in any other state and stating that they do not maintain a residency in another state.
  • Provide objective evidence that they have relinquished residency elsewhere - Utah voter registration card, Utah drivers license, state ID, or vehicle registration, evidence of employment in Utah, rental agreement or utility bills.

For more detailed information contact the Admission Office.

How do I request my military records?

Request military records

Request a DD 214  (and other FAQs!)


Last Updated: 4/14/17