You are here:

GI Bill

The Veterans Support Center does not administer the GI Bill, but we would like to give you some basic information here. For all GI Bill specific questions or to start your benefits, please visit the Veteran Services- opens new window office at the University of Utah.

It is YOUR responsibility to insure your benefits continue uninterrupted. The Veteran Services office will do their best to keep you informed and remind you what you need to do, but ultimately it is up to YOU to make sure you have a request for benefits each semester and have done everything you need to do. Inform yourself and be proactive! Don’t wait until the semester starts to check to see if you’ve done everything.

Here is a basic run down of your GI Bill educational benefits- PDF to help you know what you can expect it to pay. For more detailed information contact Veterans Services at window 10 in the Veterans Support Center.

What you will need:

The documents you will need are listed below, however, depending on your individual situation and benefit entitlements you may or may not need others as well.

Statement of Eligibility

This document details what program you are entitled to and for how long. To obtain this document you will need to apply for benefits here- opens new window or contact the Veterans Affairs Education Office at (801) 422-4551. If you chose to fill it out online, please notify the Veterans Services office as soon as possible. You will need to have this statement of eligibility on file in the University of Utah Registrar's Office. If you do not do this, you will not receive your benefits.


This is the most important document of your military career. It details any military active duty service and/or awards you received. You can obtain this by requesting your Military Service Records- opens new window.

Request for Benefits

This is a University of Utah form- PDF- opens new window that will need to be printed, filled out and given to the Veteran Services office.

  • In order to receive benefits each semester, you need to fill out a “Request for Benefits form” for every semester. If you do not list a semester, they will not certify that semester. To do so, log on to the Campus Information System (CIS) here and click on the “Request VA Benefits” link in the “Financials” box on your student page.

  • You can fill it out for an entire academic year (up to 3 semesters at a time) which means you have the option of only filling it out once a year instead of every semester.

  • Make sure you fill it out completely and that the years are accurate. If you list “Summer 2016” by mistake and meant to put in “Summer 2017” they will not certify Summer 2017 until they receive a request for benefits for that semester.

Request for Military Service Credit

This is a University of Utah form- PDF- opens new window that will need to be printed, filled out and given to the Veteran Services office. Veterans who have served at least 181 days of active duty are eligible to receive four lower-division (undergraduate) hours of Military Service Credit. These four hours do not fill a requirement, but can count towards the 122 hours required for graduation. The VA requires all eligible veterans claim these credit hours in order to receive VA educational benefits.

Yellow Ribbon Program Request

This is a University of Utah form- PDF- opens new window that will need to be printed, filled out and given to the Veteran Services office.

The Yellow Ribbon program is designed to help students avoid up to 100 percent of their out-of-pocket tuition and fees associated with education programs that may exceed the Post 9/11 GI Bill tuition benefit.

To qualify to receive the Yellow Ribbon benefits you must meet the follow criteria:

  • Served an aggregate period of active duty after September 10, 2001, or at least 36 months;

  • Were honorably discharged from active duty for a service connected disability and served 30 continuous days after September 10, 2001;

  • Are a dependent eligible for Transfer of Entitlement under the Post-9/11 GI Bill based on a veteran's service under the eligibility criteria listed above.

  • If you are a resident and an undergraduate student, you do not need the yellow ribbon, but if you are a Non-Resident and/or Graduate student, you may want to apply for the yellow ribbon program if you qualify.

Other Documents:

Request for Change of Program or Place of Training (VA Form 22-1995 or VA Form 22-5495)

This form is used by students who have already received an undergraduate degree and are starting graduate school, changing schools or programs, and students who have not used their GI Bill benefit in over a year. If you are a student that falls within any of these categories then you will need to fill out this form- PDF- opens new window and turn it in to the Veterans Services - opens new windowoffice. *Dependents should use this form- PDF- opens new window.

Disabled Veterans Application for Vocational Rehabilitation (VA Form 28-1900)

If you are a disabled veteran, use this form- PDF- opens new window to request vocational rehabilitation benefits. You will also need to speak with a Vocational Rehabilitation counselor at (801) 326-2431.

Additional Information You Need to Know:

  • Read ALL emails sent to your UMail account, especially those sent from the Veteran Services office.

  • Make sure to check your UMail account on a regular basis or have your UMail forwarded to another email address you check regularly.

  • The Veteran Services office is located in the Student Services Building (SSB) on the main campus. Their main task is to assist you in establishing and maintaining your GI Bill at the University of Utah. They are not the VA and do not have access to VA records. Although they are there to help you, they may have limitations with what you may need help with. They may not always be able to help you, but they should be able to point you in the direction of someone who can.

Tutoring (Chapters 30, 33, 35 and 1606)

The VA will reimburse you for tutoring for up to $100 per month. All you need to do is get the form at the Veterans Services office and have the tutor fill it out for each session.

GI Bill Enrollment Certification (Veteran Services Office):

  • They will not submit any enrollment certifications until the last day to add/drop, unless you notify them that your schedule is set and would like them to submit it early. (Check the Academic Calendar- opens new window to find the add/drop date by semester.)
  • Getting your schedule set early and letting them know gets you paid faster and prevents an interruption in your benefits.
  • If you are a Chapter 33 (Post 9/11) student, you need to notify them twice. Once BEFORE tuition is released and again AFTER tuition is released. Otherwise if you notify them only before tuition is released they will not report your tuition to VA until after the last day to add/drop.
  • Changing your schedule after you’ve asked them to submit your certification can have a huge impact on your pay and create over/under payments with VA which you may be held responsible for.
  • If you are Chapter 30, 1606 or 1607, you will need to verify your enrollment every month in order to get paid. To do so, please call: 1-877-823-2378

Enrolling in Approved Classes:

  • In order to receive GI Bill benefits, you need to be taking classes that are REQUIRED for your degree. Any class that is “recommended” will not be approved and therefore not be certified for GI Bill. Courses that are required include: General Education requirements, Major requirements, Upper Division hours, Electives (if you have them) and credits needed to meet the 122 credits required to graduate. Basically any course you need in order to obtain your degree.
  • The best way to insure your class will be approved is by checking your DARS report. It is what the Veterans Services office uses when they are checking your classes for eligibility. If it shows up as being required on your DARS, they will approve it. Otherwise, if it’s not on there, chances are it won’t be approved. However, if it is a class you need to take but is not showing up on your DARS, that doesn’t mean it can’t be approved. You’ll just need to go talk to them and they’ll try to help you get it approved.
  • To check your DARS report: Log onto Campus Information System (CIS) here and click on the “View/Delete your Degree Audit Report(s)” link in the Graduation section of your student tab.
  • If you’re still unsure about a class being required, check with your academic advisor.

1st half, 2nd half and Miscellaneous courses

The VA only pays you for the time you are actually enrolled and attending. This means you have to be careful about which sessions of classes you enroll in. If you only enroll in classes that run the 1st half of the semester, the VA will only pay you for the 1st half of the semester. Even though the University may see you as enrolled full time, the VA may see you as only ¾ or ½ depending on what session your classes run. If you have questions about whether you are Full Time, ¾ or ½ time, you can contact the Veteran Services office and they can tell you.

Minors and Dual Majors

  • As of right now, the VA does not pay for minors unless they are required by your major or are Military Science, Naval Science, etc. If you can complete the minor within the 122 credits required to graduate, the VA will pay for the minor. Otherwise, you will have to use one of the many loopholes to get the VA to pay for it.
  • If you are doing a minor that does not fall into one of the above categories you can still get the VA to pay for it, you’ll just need to declare a dual major with the VA (this does not mean you have to complete the dual major or declare it with the University). You’ll need to figure out which major the minor corresponds with and be sure they have the same class requirements (meet with an academic advisor if necessary). Once you’ve figured that out, you can just go to the Veteran Services office and fill out a Dual Major request form to declare it with the VA. The VA will see you as doing a dual major, your classes will be approved and as soon as you finish the requirements for the minor, you can stop taking the classes for your “dual major”.
  • If you don’t want to go the “dual major” route, you can go in and talk to the Veteran Services office and we’ll see if there is another way.

Changing your Minor

It is your responsibility to keep the Veteran Services office informed. If you changed your major with the University, that doesn’t mean you have changed your major with the VA. You may be doing a BA in Business with the University, but they may have you listed as a BA in Anthropology still with the VA. If you change your major, you will need to fill out a form at the Veteran Services office to change it with the VA. Not doing so can result in some or all of your classes not being certified.

Chapter 33 (Post 9/11) and the tuition deadline

  • If you are using the Post 9/11 GI Bill, in most cases the tuition deadline does not apply to you. This means that if you have requested benefits for that semester and registered for classes, the Veteran Services office will send a list down to the tuition office and your account will be put on hold. You will not be dropped from your classes or charged a late fee. It is your responsibility to make sure you have filled out a request for benefits and that all of your classes are approved. If you have not, you will not be on the list and you may be dropped or charged a late fee.
  • As long as you are on the list they send down to the tuition office, the tuition deadline does not apply to you. You also are not required to pay anything on your tuition until after the VA makes their payment.
  • ALL other Chapters: YOU are responsible for paying your tuition on time. Even if you have not received any funds from the VA for your GI Bill.

Repeating courses and “E”, “EU”, “W” grades

  • The VA will only pay for you to repeat a course if you failed the course or did not meet the minimum grade requirement for that course to receive credit through your major. They WILL NOT pay for repeated courses to boost GPA or to keep you at full time.
  • If you fail a course (receive an “E” grade), in most cases you will not be required to repay the VA. However if you receive an “EU” or “W” grade, the VA may create an overpayment and require you to repay some of the money. “EU” grades are typically given when a student stops attending a course. The “W” grade is given when a student drops a course after the drop deadline.
Last Updated: 10/21/16