Where do I start?

If you are thinking about applying or you were just accepted and are not sure what to do next, see Getting Started.

Do I qualify for in-state tuition?

Service members, veterans, and family are eligible for in-state tuition if they are:

  • S. military service member assigned to active duty in Utah, including the Utah National Guard and active reserves.
  • Immediate family member of a service member currently assigned to active duty in Utah.
  • Veteran who did not receive a dishonorable discharge.
  • Immediate family member of a veteran claimed as a dependent.
  • Eligible person entitled to benefits under 38 U.S.C. Chapter 30 Montgomery G.I. Bill – Active Duty Educational Assistance Program or Chapter 33 Post 9/11 Educational Assistance Program.
  • Utah resident away on active military duty taking only online classes from the U, including cases where the student is a spouse or dependent child.
  • An individual who maintains residency in Utah with an intent to return but who is serving on active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces and is assigned outside of Utah, including cases where the student is a spouse or dependent child.

For more detailed information contact the Admissions Office.

Where can I go for help if I have PTSD or I think that I do?

If you are having an emergency, call 911 or go to the nearest Emergency Room.  Otherwise, there are many resources available on and off campus to support veterans with PTSD.  Some of them include:

What if I have a condition or disability that might affect my coursework?

Some students, veterans and non-veterans, have documented challenges that qualify for reasonable academic accommodations that permit them to participate on an equal basis with students who do not have such challenges.  For information about how to request accommodations, contact the Center for Disability & Access.

What if I am deploying?

For students who are called to active military duty without prior notice, the U offers the following combination of options:

  • At the discretion of the instructor, students may make arrangements to receive an incomplete (I) grade for one or more classes. Refer to the U’s Student Handbook for a detailed description of the incomplete grading policy.
  • When appropriate, students may make arrangements with an instructor to complete the course work for a grade prior to a departure for active duty.
  • Students may request a total or partial withdrawal.
  • Students may request to delete one or more classes.

You will need to complete the proper paperwork.  See our deployment checklist to get started.  If you have any questions, contact the VSC.

How Do I Contact the VA?

Once you are enrolled, the VSC’s VetSuccess on Campus Counselor can answer a lot of questions for you.  However, you can contact the VA at:

  • Veterans Crisis Line: 1-800-273-8255, Press 1
  • VA Benefits: 800-827-1000
  • VA Health Care: 877-222-VETS (8387)
  • GI Bill: 888-GIBILL-1 (888-442-4551)
  • Submit a question online.

May I receive Tuition Assistance and the GI bill at the same time?

TA can be used with Post-9/11 GI Bill and Montgomery GI Bill.  If you are receiving Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits, the Registrar’s School Certifying Officials will reduce the cost of tuition reported to the VA by the amount you received through TA.  For tips and guidance on maximizing your VA education benefits, set up an appointment with the VetSuccess on Campus Counselor in the VSC.  For questions regarding TA, contact your command’s education office.  Additional information can also be found here:  https://www.va.gov/education/about-gi-bill-benefits/how-to-use-benefits/tuition-assistance-top-up/.

Does GI Bill cover the cost of taking tests such as the SAT, GRE, LSAT, or MCAT?

You may be eligible for reimbursement.  The VA will cover the cost of many tests, but not the fees associated with the testing process.  Visit the VA website for more information.

 Is there a military discount for prep test courses?

Yes. There is a 20% discount for prep courses taught at the University of Utah. Veterans must prove military status with the Veterans Support Center. The POC for courses is Debbie Erickson, Continuing Education, at derickson@aoce.utah.edu or 801-581-6446.

How do I initiate a Purple Heart waiver?

Residents of the State of Utah who received the Purple Heart for combat wounds can receive a waiver to their undergraduate and graduate tuition.  To initiate the Purple Heart Tuition Waiver, bring your DD 214 showing the award to Financial Aid and provide a letter requesting the waiver.  For questions pertaining to this process contact the Scholarship Office at 801-581-6211 or scholarship@sa.utah.edu.

Does the University of Utah have a Student Veterans Organization?

Yes. The Student Veterans at Utah.

How do I request my military records?

Request military records

Request a DD 214  (and other FAQs!)

Where We Are

Veterans Support Center
200 S Central Campus Drive

Olpin Student Union Building, Rm 418
Salt Lake City, UT 84112