GI Bill


You must complete a “Request for Benefits” every semester in order to receive your benefits.

The Registrar’s School Certifying Officers (SCOs), who certify enrollment for students eligible for VA educational benefits, are located in the Veterans Support Center.  For specific GI Bill questions or to start your benefits, please see the Registrar’s Veteran Services webpage or contact the SCOs at or (801) 581-6945.

What you will need:

The documents you will need are listed below; however, depending on your individual situation and benefit entitlements, you might need others as well.

Certificate of Eligibility

If you are applying for the Yellow Ribbon Program, you will need this document, which details what program you are entitled to and for how long.  To obtain this document you will need to apply for benefits here or contact the SCOs at (801) 581-6945.  If you fill out the form online, notify the SCOs as soon as possible. You will need to have this statement of eligibility on file in the Registrar's Office or you will not receive your benefits.


This is the most important document of your military career because it officially details your military service. You can request it here: Military Service Records.

Request for Benefits

This is a University of Utah form that will need to be printed, filled out, and submitted to the SCOs.

  • You must fill out a “Request for Benefits form” every semester in order to receive benefits. To do so, log on to the Campus Information System (CIS) here and click on the “Request VA Benefits” link in the “Tuition and Loans” box on your student page.
  • You can fill it out for an entire academic year (up to 3 semesters at a time).
  • Make sure you fill it out completely and that the years are accurate.

Request for Military Service Credit

This is a University of Utah form that will need to be printed, filled out and given to the SCOs. Veterans who have served at least 181 days of active duty are eligible to receive four lower-division (undergraduate) hours of Military Service Credit. These four hours do not fill a specific requirement, but they can count towards the 122 hours required for graduation.  The VA requires that all eligible veterans claim these credits in order to receive VA educational benefits.

Yellow Ribbon Program Request

This is a University of Utah form that will need to be printed, filled out and given to the Veteran Services office.

The Yellow Ribbon program helps students who are using the Post 9/11 GI Bill at the 100% rating avoid up to 100% of their out-of-pocket tuition and fees associated with education programs that may exceed the Post 9/11 GI Bill tuition benefit.  If you are a resident, you do not need the Yellow Ribbon program, but if you are a non-resident and/or graduate student, you may want to apply for the program.  You may qualify for the Yellow Ribbon Program if:

  • You served an aggregate period of active duty at least 36 months after September 10, 2001;
  • You were honorably discharged from active duty for a service connected disability and served 30 continuous days after September 10, 2001;
  • You are a dependent eligible for Transfer of Entitlement under the Post-9/11 GI Bill based on a veteran's service under the eligibility criteria listed above.
  • Received a Purple Heart on or after September 11, 2001, and were honorably discharged after any amount of service, or
  • Received a Fry Scholarship on or after August 1, 2018, or
  • Are receiving the Fry Scholarship (beginning August 1,2018)

Other Documents:

Request for Change of Program or Place of Training (VA Form 22-1995 or 22-5495)

This form is used by students who have already received an undergraduate degree and are starting graduate school, changing schools or programs, and students who have not used their GI Bill benefit in over a year.  If you are a student that falls within any of these categories then you will need to fill out this form and turn it in to the SCPs.  Dependents should use this form.

Disabled Veterans Application for Vocational Rehabilitation (VA Form 28-1900)

If you are a disabled veteran, use this form to request vocational rehabilitation benefits. You will also need to speak with a Vocational Rehabilitation counselor at (801) 326-2431.

Tutoring (Chapters 30, 33, 35 and 1606)

The VA will reimburse you for tutoring for up to $100 per month. All you need to do is get the form from the SCOs and have the tutor fill it out for each session.

GI Bill Enrollment Certification:

  • SCOs will not submit any enrollment certifications until the last day to add/drop, unless you notify them that your schedule is set and would like them to submit it early. (Check the Academic Calendar to find the add/drop date by semester.)
  • Getting your schedule set early and letting them know gets you paid faster and prevents an interruption in your benefits.
  • If you are a Chapter 33 (Post 9/11) student, you need to notify them twice, before tuition is released and again after tuition is released. Otherwise if you notify them only before tuition is released they will not report your tuition to VA until after the last day to add/drop.
  • Changing your schedule after you’ve asked them to submit your certification can have a huge impact on your pay and create over/under payments with VA which you may be held responsible for.
  • If you are Chapter 30, 1606 or 1607, you will need to verify your enrollment every month in order to get paid. To do so, please call: 1-877-823-2378

Enrolling in Approved Classes:

  • The GI Bill only funds classes that are required for your degree and not those that are only “recommended.” Courses that are required include: General Education requirements, Major requirements, Upper Division hours, Electives (if you have them) and credits needed to meet the 122 credits required to graduate.
  • The best way to ensure your class will be approved is by checking your DARS report.  It is what the SCOs use when they are checking your classes for VA eligibility.  If DARS indicates that the course is required, it will be approved.  If it is a class you need, but it does not show up in DARS, talk to the SCOs who will try to get it approved.
  • To check your DARS report: Log onto Campus Information System (CIS) here and click on the “View/Delete your Degree Audit Report(s)” link in the Graduation section of your student tab.
  • If you’re still unsure about a class being required, check with your academic advisor.

First Half, Second Half, and Miscellaneous Courses

The VA only pays the Basic Allowance for Housing for the time you are actually attending classes. If you only enroll in classes that run the first half of the semester, the VA will only pay you for the first half of the semester. Even though the U may consider you enrolled full-time, the VA may see you as part-time depending on what session in which your classes run.  For questions about your status, contact the SCOs.

Changing Your Major & Getting a Minor

It is your responsibility to keep the SCOs informed. If you changed your major, the VA is not automatically notified.  Your newly required courses may not be approved by the VA until you fill out a form to change your major with the VA. Not doing so can result in some or all of your classes not being certified.

The VA does not pay for minors unless they are required by your major or are Military Science, Naval Science, and such. If you can complete the minor within the 122 credits required to graduate, the VA will pay for the minor.  Sometimes, there are work-arounds to obtain a minor using VA benefits.  Talk to the SCOs who may be able to help you.

Chapter 33 (Post 9/11) and the Tuition Deadline

  • If you are using the Post 9/11 GI Bill, in most cases the tuition deadline does not apply to you. This means that if you have requested benefits for that semester and registered for classes, the SCOs will send a list to the tuition office and you will not be dropped from your classes or charged a late fee.  It is your responsibility to make sure you have filled out a request for benefits and that all of your classes are approved. If you have not, you will not be on the list and you may be dropped or charged a late fee. You also are not required to pay anything on your tuition until after the VA makes their payment.
  • ALL other VA educational benefit recipients: you are responsible for paying your tuition on time, even if you have not received any funds from the VA for your GI Bill.

Repeating Courses and “E”, “EU”, “W” Grades

  • The VA will only pay for you to repeat a course if you failed the course or did not meet the minimum course grade to receive credit through your major. They will not pay for repeated courses to boost GPA or to keep you at full-time status.
  • In most cases, if you fail a course (receive an “E”), you will not be required to repay the VA.  However if you receive an “EU” or “W” grade, the VA may require you to repay money.  “EU” grades are typically given when a student stops attending a course. The “W” grade is given when a student drops a course after the drop deadline.