Tuition Gap


The Tuition Gap program provides up to one year of undergraduate tuition for qualifying Utah veterans.  The program only pays tuition; it does not provide funding for fees and books or a basic allowance for housing.

Student veterans at the U who qualify for this program may apply through the Veterans Support Center (VSC).  Summarizing the eligibility requirements, a student veteran must be seeking his/her first baccalaureate degree and:

  • Be a resident student of the State of Utah or exempt from paying the nonresident portion of total tuition; and
  • Be a veteran under the State of Utah’s definition: an individual who served in the U.S. Armed Forces for at least 180 days: on active duty; or in a reserve component, including the National Guard; or incurred an actual service-related injury or disability while in the Armed Forces regardless of completing 180 days; and separated or retired under honorable or general conditions; and
  • Be enrolled in good standing at the U on at least a half-time basis; and
  • Have no federal veterans’ educational benefit available (exhausted, expired, or never qualified for one).


The full eligibility requirements, process for applying, and an application form can be found here.